Tuesday 28 April 2009

Leadership Thought # 3

I was hungry,
And you formed a humanities group to discuss my hunger.
I was imprisoned,
And you crept off quietly to your chapel and prayed for my release.
I was naked,
And in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance.
I was sick,
And you knelt and thanked God for your health.
I was homeless,
And you preached a sermon on the spiritual shelter of the love of God.
I was lonely,
And you left me alone to pray for me.
You seem so holy, so close to God.
But I am still very hungry – and lonely – and cold.

This poem, from the prayer letter last December (on the
Great Lakes Outreach page) is not so much a Leadership thought as a Leadership Slap in the Face. This poem was written by someone who had asked for help from a church leader, but been rejected - writing this poem in response and giving it to the Shelter.

If everyone we rejected was as articulate and proactive in response to our rejection, maybe we would be more aware of the damage we cause people - every day, just by living a life that ignores the needs of others. I am on a Church of England stipend as a lay worker and am near the top of the pile in terms of what I have - that is just a fact. When we get global in our thinking about who we are, we might, in our eyes become less significant - but, we have so much - that we can do so much with. Our attitude and our action is all about awareness. The more aware I become the more my attitude should be impacted, the more my actions should be shaped by what I know. Awareness is one of the greatest attributes a leader could have.

No comments: